万宝路平台官网 Completing a doctorate in early childhood education online can be an important step for educators seeking a deeper understanding of child development, psychology, and learning. A Ph.D. in early childhood education prepares educators to address the needs of learners between birth and age eight. This credential demonstrates expert knowledge of early learning theories, research, leadership, and methodologies.
万宝路平台官网Early childhood education doctoral programs prepare students for positions in educational research, teacher preparation, and school administration. Some Ph.D. holders pursue careers in curriculum development or policy making, while others continue their work in the early childhood classroom.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), school principals earn a median annual salary of $92,510. The BLS projects that job opportunities for instructional coordinators will increase between 2016 and 2026, and job opportunities for postsecondary teachers will increase by . These rates are much higher than the 7% national average for all occupations.
For career information, skip down:
- What Else Can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Program?
- Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education 万宝路平台官网
- Accreditation for Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Degrees
- Paying for Your Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education
What Are the Best Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Programs?
1. Concordia University–Chicago
River Forest, Illinois
万宝路平台官网A liberal arts school based in the suburb of River Forest, Concordia University-Chicago originally on teacher education. The university remains true to its roots, hosting in early childhood education that rank among the best in the nation. Offering both Ph.D. and Ed.D. degrees, Concordia-Chicago's early childhood education program consists of 61-67 credits. The curriculum includes early childhood-related studies in legal issues, trends, and research methods. Learners also complete an internship, a dissertation, and a comprehensive examination.
万宝路平台官网This online program lacks in-person requirements, although students may complete some of their coursework on campus if they wish. Program applicants must hold a master's degree in a relevant field earned with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They must also submit MAT or GRE scores from the past three years.
Concordia-Chicago is regionally accredited from the Higher Learning Commission. Concordia's college of education is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
Nova Southeastern University
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Based in Davie, Florida -- a city within the Miami metropolitan area -- Nova Southeastern offers many programs online, including a . Students enrolled in this program can choose between online or blended delivery formats. Distance learners complete both synchronous and asynchronous coursework through NSU's virtual classrooms. The program's curriculum consists of 15 early childhood-specific credits, including courses that cover cultural perspectives and influences on childhood development, current trends and issues in curricular theory in early childhood, and child advocacy social concerns in the global context.
万宝路平台官网All students also complete an applied dissertation investigating a current scholarly issue in the field of early childhood education. This project consists of a paper, a proposal, and the dissertation itself. Full-time students can complete the program in 24 months, although many individuals opt to work while pursuing their degrees and take longer to graduate.
NSU is regionally accredited from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. NSU's college of education is nationally accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
What Else can I Expect from an Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Program?
Requirements vary by school, but doctoral programs in early childhood education usually require students to take courses related to research methodologies, child development, education ethics, and instructional design. They also typically include original research and a dissertation or practicum. Many doctorate in early childhood education programs include classes similar to those listed below.
Curriculum for an Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education
- Child Development and the Educational Process: This course introduces students to how child development research affects educational practices. Students discuss the relationship between physical, intellectual, social, cognitive, and emotional development in young learners. This course may be particularly valuable for aspiring teacher educators.
- Problems and Methods in Education Research: In this course, students practice interpreting and applying education research methods. Students evaluate existing studies and discuss different investigative philosophies, hypothesis formulation strategies, research plans, and analysis procedures. Education researchers especially benefit from this course.
- Assessment Practices to Promote Healthy Development and Learning: This course acquaints students with formative, summative, formal, and informal assessment methods for different age levels. Students examine the role of assessments in evaluating development, measuring learning, and promoting intellectual growth. This course is particularly relevant to aspiring instructional coordinators.
- Inspired Leadership, Informed Advocacy, and Improved Policy: In this class, students explore the ethical, advocative, and social responsibilities of early childhood education leaders. Students discuss the roles and traits of effective leaders. Topics include early childhood policy systems, advocacy strategies, and leadership theory. School administrators find this course especially useful.
- Teacher Preparation and Professional Development: This course prepares students for a lifetime of learning and professional improvement. Students examine research related to teacher preparation and discuss common professional development practices. This course is most relevant to experienced early childhood teachers planning to remain in the classroom.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education?
Coursework requirements differ between schools, but most doctorate in early childhood education online programs require approximately 60 credits. Full-time students may spend between four and eight years fulfilling coursework and dissertation requirements.
Program length can vary based on research opportunities, concentration options, practicum components, and cognate course requirements. Typically, students pursuing a Ph.D. in early childhood education online must write and defend a research-based dissertation. Many programs encourage degree seekers to complete this task during their third year of study, but some learners require more time.
Some online doctoral programs in early childhood education follow a cohort learning format. Cohorts are groups of students that progress through the program as part of a tight-knit group, completing courses and submitting assignments according to a strict timeline. In individually paced programs, students have greater control and take courses according to their own schedules. Both cohort learning and individually paced programs usually expect degree seekers to complete coursework within a specified period of time.
Accreditation for Online Early Childhood Education Doctorate Degrees
Before committing to an early childhood education doctoral program, students should research its accreditation status. Accreditation indicates that a school meets certain academic and professional standards. Employers and other schools only recognize Ph.D.s granted by an accredited institution.
万宝路平台官网There are two main forms of accreditation: regional and national. The U.S. has , each of which monitors the quality of higher education programs within a specific geographic area. The regional accreditation process is more rigorous and therefore more highly regarded. Employers also prefer regional accreditation because they deal with local state authorities more often than federal authorities.
National accreditation is more common among for-profit and career-based colleges. Two main bodies oversee national accreditation: the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The ED collects school data, enforces education statutes, and distributes federal education funds. CHEA is a self-regulating association of 3,000 American colleges and universities. Both and the maintain online databases of accredited schools and recognized accrediting agencies.
Additionally, students seeking a Ph.D. in early childhood education online should consider programs with accreditation from an agency that focuses on educator preparation. The most important accrediting agency for educator preparation is (CAEP). CAEP evaluates educator preparation programs based on their curricular content, clinical practice and partnerships, and candidate quality.
Employment Outlook for Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Graduates
Doctorate in Early Childhood Education 万宝路平台官网
Graduates of doctoral programs in early childhood education may pursue careers in leadership, research, and instruction. Some Ph.D. holders advance their administrative careers, while others work in research, policy development, or curriculum development. Others remain in the classroom as teacher educators or as highly qualified early childhood teachers.
Educators who complete a Ph.D. in early childhood education online may choose to work in one of the positions listed below.
: These professionals help schools develop curricula and teaching standards. They review educational materials, guide curriculum implementation, assess student test results, and conduct teacher training. They may introduce teachers to new technologies or recommend different instructional techniques. Schools typically prefer to hire instructional coordinators with graduate credentials.
- Median Annual Salary: $62,460
- Projected Growth Rate: 11%
: These researchers conduct education surveys in person, over the phone, online, and by mail. They use interviews, questionnaires, and focus groups to learn about people's opinions, preferences, and beliefs. They also obtain employment and salary data. Researchers design surveys, account for sampling issues, analyze data, and publish findings. Many survey researchers possess a Ph.D.
- Median Annual Salary: $52,400
- Projected Growth Rate: 2%
: These professors prepare undergraduate and graduate students for careers in teaching. They develop syllabi, deliver lessons, evaluate student progress, and stay informed about current trends and research. They may also advise students, develop degree requirements, and conduct field research. Most postsecondary teachers hold a doctoral degree.
- Median Annual Salary: $62,520
- Projected Growth Rate: 15%
: These administrators are responsible for daily school operations. They manage class schedules, curriculum implementation, student discipline, and school security. Principals also evaluate test scores, assess teacher performance, and discuss student progress with faculty and parents. Most schools require principals to possess a graduate-level education.
- Median Annual Salary: $92,510
- Projected Growth Rate: 8%
: These educators provide children with a foundation in subjects such as math, reading, science, and social studies. They help children develop strong study habits and communication skills. Elementary teachers prepare and deliver lessons, communicate with parents regarding student progress, prepare students for standardized tests, and implement and enforce behavioral standards.
- Median Annual Salary: $55,490
- Projected Growth Rate: 7%
Doctorate in Early Childhood Education Salary
Factors such as education level, professional experience, location, and employer type can greatly impact the annual earnings of early learning professionals. The table below contains salary information for instructional coordinators in five different industries.
万宝路平台官网On average, state government agencies provide the greatest compensation, with elementary and secondary schools paying slightly less. Educational support services and junior colleges offer comparable annual salaries, while junior colleges pay the least.
|Employer Type||Mean Annual Salary|
|State Government, Excluding Schools and Hospitals||$74,020|
|Elementary and Secondary Schools||$71,130|
|Educational Support 万宝路平台官网||$65,510|
|Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools||$60,080|
Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations
Students in early childhood education doctoral programs can benefit from joining professional organizations. Professional organizations provide networking, advocacy, research, and continuing education opportunities. Many professional organizations help students fund their education through scholarships, fellowships, grants, and tuition discounts. Members receive benefits such as publication subscriptions, career assistance, professional development resources, and product discounts.
万宝路平台官网Below are five professional organizations for students pursuing a doctorate in early childhood education online.
- : NAEYC offers training resources to early childhood education professionals, accredits educator preparation programs, and advocates to improve the accessibility and quality of early childhood education. Member benefits include print and digital publications, online networking resources, and insurance discounts.
- : ACEI advocates for early learning as a global development tool. The association provides opportunities for research exchange, project funding, early childhood program assessment, and international education diplomacy. Members can access networking events, continuing education, and grants.
- : HighScope is a nonprofit organization focused on research and outreach. It provides resources on professional development, child assessment, program evaluation, and family engagement. Membership benefits include access to research journals and publication archives.
Paying for Your Online Doctorate in Early Childhood Education
Students interested in pursuing a doctorate in early childhood education online should begin researching financial aid resources as early as possible. The first step is to complete the (FAFSA). By completing the FAFSA, students can determine their eligibility for federal financial assistance such as need-based grants or low-interest loans.
Many universities offer financial support to qualifying students on the basis of academic merit or financial need. Some degree seekers may be able to obtain program-specific scholarships from their institution. Other potential funding sources include regional organizations, community groups, professional associations, and private foundations.
Because highly qualified teachers are an asset, many schools set aside funding for employees seeking advanced education. Consequently, educators may be able to obtain tuition assistance or reimbursement from their place of employment.
万宝路平台官网Students who complete a Ph.D. in early childhood education online may take advantage of the federal , which forgives student loans for qualifying educators who spend five years teaching in low-income institutions. The provides loan forgiveness for educators who dedicate at least 10 years to the public sector.