万宝路平台官网An online doctorate in counselor education equips graduates to lead, educate, and supervise other counselors as well as improve their own counseling practice. The programs broaden graduates’ ability to advocate for the profession and clients and prepares them for careers in clinical, academic, and research settings. Counseling professionals with a Ph.D. in counselor education or an Ed.D. in counselor education can work in a variety of settings, including clinics, hospitals, schools, nonprofits, and independent practice.
When considering different online counselor education doctoral programs, you should make sure you pick a program that fits your specific needs. If factoring in a limited timeline, you may need to prioritize a program that offers a more generous transfer policy, a lighter price tag, or the option to take courses at an accelerated pace. Since a wide variety of online doctoral programs for counselor education and supervision exist, students should review all options before deciding which program is best for them. Keep in mind that attending in-state schools often costs much less than venturing out of state.
- Program Cost:
- Program cost can vary widely. Many public schools offer a reduced tuition rate for in-state students, while private schools typically charge the same rate for all students. Some schools offer a reduced tuition rate for online credits, while others do not make this distinction. The more time you spend on the degree, the greater the cost.
- Transfer Policies:
- Transfer policies vary from school to school. Many public schools feature more generous transfer policies catering to in-state transfer students through articulation agreements with regional schools. These articulation agreements can prevent students from repeating coursework, saving them money and time.
- School Size and Type:
- Generally, private schools feature small class sizes but cost more than public school options. Public schools cost less and tailor more to nontraditional learners in their requirements, but their larger enrollment numbers can lead to a less personal learning experience.
- Program Length:
- Program length depends on several factors, including the number of required credits, course load, and whether the program is available in an accelerated format. Most online counselor education doctoral programs take two years to complete, though they can take up to four years if taken part time.
- On-Campus Requirements:
- Some programs may require a residency or other on-campus components. However, many are offered in a fully online format or feature a very light residency requirement. If a program requires a residency or other on-campus elements, you may need to prioritize in-state options or consider committing to a long-term move.
Accreditation for Online Counselor Education Doctorate Degrees
Postsecondary schools utilize accreditation from agencies and organizations with approval from the US (ED), the (CHEA), or both, to ensure consistent educational standards. Three main kinds of accreditation exist: national, regional, and programmatic.
万宝路平台官网National accreditation applies to technical and vocational schools deriving accreditation from ED-approved national agencies such as the . Regional accreditation provides institutional accreditation to most postsecondary schools and comes from the six regional accrediting bodies recognized by CHEA. Attending a program with national rather than regional accreditation can create future issues, as credits from a nationally accredited program may not transfer to many regionally accredited institutions. Students interested in online counselor education doctoral programs must also pay special attention to programmatic accreditation.
Programmatic accreditation ensures consistent standards for programs within the same specialized discipline and comes from national organizations such as the . The serves as the main programmatic accrediting body for counselor education programs. It is important to consider only online counselor education and supervision doctoral programs with programmatic accreditation from CACREP to avoid issues when seeking certification and/or employment upon graduation.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Doctoral Degree in Counselor Education?
Ph.D. in counselor education and Ed.D. in counselor education programs typically last from 2.4–4 years and consist of 60–70 credits. Most of these doctoral programs require applicants to have a master’s degree in counseling or a closely related degree from a CACREP-accredited or equivalent program. In most cases, students with an applicable master’s degree can often receive credit for completed degree work and complete their Ph.D. or Ed.D. in counselor education and supervision in less time.
Courses in an Online Counselor Education Doctorate Program
- Advanced Theory of Counseling
- This course surveys major theories of counseling, including psychoanalytic, feminist, and rational emotive behavioral theory. Students apply these theories to a variety of populations and settings. The course also examines how supervisors and educators can best advise the application of these theories. Students present their own integrative counseling theory as a culminating assignment.
- Leadership and Advocacy in Counseling
- Students explore the intersection of contemporary political and social issues in counseling with theories of leadership, advocacy models, and social change theory. Among these issues, ethical and multicultural concerns within the counseling profession take priority. The course also incorporates experiential practice in developing leadership and advocacy skills.
- Survey Research Methods
- This course gives a broad overview of survey research methods through in-person interviews, self-reporting, phone interviews, and internet administration. Topics include survey design, administration, analysis, and mitigating the effect of bias. Students study theoretical and empirical research on the impact of question and questionnaire methods. The course may culminate with drafting a viable survey design.
- Clinical Supervision
- Students investigate the theoretical framework and experiential application of counselor supervision. Topics may include ethical and legal concerns in supervisor-supervisee relationships along with conceptual approaches for accommodating the different cultural backgrounds and learning styles of supervisees. Students complete their course by presenting their own integrative theory of counselor supervision in a practice setting.
- Doctoral Internship
- Many online Ph.D. in counselor education degrees culminate with an internship in an approved clinical setting prior to a dissertation. A practicum often precedes the internship. Required hours for the internship vary, but it can involve rotation between direct-service counseling with clients, supervising individuals or groups, and fulfilling administrative duties at the site.
Counselor Education Certifications
Pursuing special certification along with your online doctoral degree in counselor education bolsters your credentials and shows potential employers your commitment to best practices. Certifications prove especially useful in niche disciplines such as counseling supervision. Many credentialing organizations require candidates to present a certain number of hours of experience or educational attainment, pass a test, or even undergo training from the organization itself. Earning a credential such as certification for clinical counseling supervisors from the (CCE) grounds your practice and fortifies your value in the job market.
- CCE offers certification for clinical counseling supervisors. Candidates need 45 hours of clinical supervision training, at least a master’s degree, and payment of a $150 application fee.
- The Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) certifies principal investigators in clinical research. Candidates must hold a doctoral degree and present 1,500 hours of clinical research experience to take the 125 question ACRP-PI exam.
- ACRP offers project management certification to clinical research professionals specializing in project management. Candidates must already hold PI certification or another ACRP credential in good standing to take the 60-question ACRP-PM exam.
Counselor Education Professional Organizations
万宝路平台官网Joining a professional organization benefits the professional development of recent graduates and industry veterans alike. This proves especially true in the development of graduates with more uncommon degrees, such as a doctoral degree in counselor education. These organizations offer online and face-to-face training that can count toward continuing education credit.
- ACES promotes excellence among the counselor education and supervision disciplines. Members can access an online portal to every issue of the organization’s quarterly journal, discounted tickets to the organization’s annual national conference, and free webinars and online continuing education courses. The ACES website also features a career center where members can apply to and post job listings.
- CSJ advocates for socially conscious practices in counseling. The organization offers professional development opportunities for counselors nationwide through an array of university chapters and awards scholarships for counseling students, including the Mary Smith Arnold Anti-Oppression Award and Social Justice Counseling Grant. CSJ also offers members access to a webinar series relating to social justice issues in counseling.
- AARC promotes best practices in counseling assessment, research, and evaluation across multiple levels, from practitioner to student. Many members find recognition by becoming AARC committee members or officers. AARC offers a variety of awards and grants to its professional and graduate student members, such as the Donald Hood Research Grant.