Earning your electronic engineering bachelor’s degree online ensures that you possess the knowledge and competence necessary to research, create, and pilot computer hardware while overseeing its installation. The products you help create reflect the most innovative technologies of the 21st century. Furthermore, the hands-on experience you gain during your studies means a more seamless transition into your career.
Rapid advancements in engineering technology make pursuing an electronic engineering bachelor’s degree online an especially strategic choice in today’s world. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that from 2016 to 2026, adding more than 21,000 positions.
Online Bachelor’s in Electronics Engineering Program Ranking Guidelines
We selected the online electronis engineering degree programs based on the quality of the program, the types of courses offered, the faculty, rankings, awards, and reputation, including the school’s reputation for effectively providing online degree programs.
The Best Online Bachelor’s in Electronics Engineering Programs
1. Arizona State University - ASU Online
The ASU requires students to complete 120 credit hours, which amounts to 40 classes. Each class lasts for just seven and a half weeks, ideal for working professionals looking to complete their degrees quickly.
U.S. News & World Report ranked this university as one of the most innovative in 2018. In part, the school earned this distinction thanks to the way its online courses incorporate real-world learning methods. Students employ a combination of practical hardware and industry tools to complete lab classes in the engineering major.
The professors who lead courses in the ASU online program include a Nobel Laureate, members of the National Academy of Engineers, and recipients of over 55 young investigator awards.
万宝路平台官网First-time college students who wish to apply for this position must possess a minimum of a 1210 combined SAT score or an ACT score of 24 or higher. Furthermore, these students should show no deficiencies in math or science. Transfer applicants must meet the same requirements; those with fewer than 24 transferable credit hours need a GPA of at least 3.0.
万宝路平台官网ASU takes part in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) process, which ensures that each class meets the online course requirements agreed upon by the member states. ASU makes it easy for students to transfer credits from certain community colleges in Arizona. Students with credits from other institutions can meet with an ASU transfer specialist to explore their options.
- Arizona State University – ASU Online is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- The engineering program also accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
2. University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
万宝路平台官网Working professionals with an associate degree in science may find that UNC Charlotte’s perfectly meets their needs. Students can complete all junior- and senior-level lecture courses online on a part-time basis. During the summers, learners can visit the UNC Charlotte campus to complete laboratory requirements.
Courses in this program focus on six subjects: linear circuits, power systems, control systems, digital and logic systems, microprocessors and embedded systems, and electronic circuits and systems.
万宝路平台官网Students with an associate degree from another university or college should apply online with the transfer-specific application. Prospective online students must also select the distance learning option on the application. Learners can transfer up to 64 credit hours toward the program.
Prerequisites include both general education and engineering courses. The engineering prerequisites include DC circuits, AC circuits, microprocessors, C programming, and digital circuits.
Once admitted, UNC Charlotte online students must complete the university’s bridge program. Bridge offers a complimentary course for students to refresh the knowledge they will need in the electrical engineering program. All admitted students must successfully pass Bridge and Math 1121 before enrolling in other classes.
UNC Charlotte’s program meets many requirements for states outside of North Carolina. However, some states may not recognize this degree program. The university encourages students who live outside North Carolina to speak with a university representative before applying.
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) issues accreditation for the electrical engineering bachelor’s program
3. University of North Dakota
万宝路平台官网Grand Forks, North Dakota
UND designed its with the working professional in mind. This six-year program takes longer than some other engineering programs to complete because it allows students flexible scheduling options; learners may attend classes full or part time.
万宝路平台官网UND conducts the program entirely online. However, students must also complete labs, lasting between five and 14 days, at the Grand Forks campus during the summer term. Additionally, distance students must take supervised exams at an approved testing center near their home.
万宝路平台官网UND offers specializations in aerospace, biomedical engineering, and computer science. Students must complete two senior design courses that demonstrate their cumulative knowledge of program skills. The university offers online students many of the same benefits that on-campus learners enjoy, including online tutoring, tech support, access to the online library, and disability services.
万宝路平台官网Students with professional experience in electrical engineering may apply for a waiver that exempts them from some of the credits required in the 125-hour degree. To earn the degree, learners must complete 39 hours of UND’s essential studies courses. Students may complete essential studies requirements through traditional semester-based classes or independent study courses.
UND accepts most transfer credits from accredited learning institutions. In total, at least 60 of the 125 credit hours must come from a four-year institution, including the credits the student earns at UND.
- University of North Dakota is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- The Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, Inc. issues accreditation for the bachelor’s program in electrical engineering
4. University of Arizona
万宝路平台官网With one-on-one attention from professors and personalized academic advising, online students in UA’s receive the same high-quality education as their peers on campus. Online students can also access resources like drop-in tutoring, research assistance, online orientation, a disability resource center, and an extensive career network. UA provides students with alumni mentors that can help students navigate the program and potential job prospects.
The university partners with many top engineering companies like Intel, Microsoft, Raytheon, and Pixar. These companies actively recruit from the College of Engineering at UA. In fact, most students in the UA bachelor’s program in electrical engineering receive a job offer before they officially graduate. Other graduates decide to forgo traditional jobs in place of entrepreneurship.
Once in the engineering program, students can take all courses entirely online. However, there are a few prerequisites that learners must complete before entering the program, including chemistry, introduction to mechanics, thermodynamics, and differential equations. In some cases, UA does not offer the class fully online. Students can choose to take such prerequisites at a college or university near their home.
万宝路平台官网When a student has completed the prerequisites, they may apply for the online program by completing the online application, paying the fee, and submitting all high school and college transcripts. Once admitted, students can take classes in subjects including microprocessor organization, circuit theory, and computer programming for engineering applications.
- University of Arizona is regionally accredited by Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- The Engineering programs at UA is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
5. Eastern New Mexico University
万宝路平台官网Portales, New Mexico
ENMU offers an array of online program for students pursuing a . With both live and recorded lectures, students can learn in the way that makes sense per each class. Students can also complete readings, labs, and other requirements from the comfort of their homes.
Enrolling in the fully online program at ENMU enables students to access the support resources they need to succeed. ENMU offers one-on-one advising, tutoring services, writing services, eBooks in the online library, access to journals, and much more to online students. Each course in this program also employs a teacher’s assistant, ready to answer a variety of student questions.
万宝路平台官网Successful applicants completed algebra one and two, geometry, and either precalculus or trigonometry in high school. ENMU places all in learning communities of 20 to 25 students. The university comprises these communities of students who have similar interests and career goals. The students can help each other through challenges and encourage one another to succeed in the program
万宝路平台官网Students from Amarillo College, CNM-Albuquerque, Clovis Community College, ENMU-Roswell, and ENMU-Ruidoso can without losing any credits. Learners from other institutions should consult ENMU advisors to learn about their options.
万宝路平台官网ENMU allows to continue their education from wherever they get posted next. In addition to completing the general application process, learners who reside in New Mexico should complete a military waiver form, which allows resident students to receive in-state tuition rates.
Eastern New Mexico University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
6. Excelsior College
万宝路平台官网Albany, New York
Excelsior offers three concentrations for learners seeking a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering technology: electronics, nanotechnology, and power systems. Students in the can take classes in digital electronics, control systems, computer programming, microprocessors, and business data communications.
万宝路平台官网Excelsior makes earning a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering more flexible than ever. This university caters to working professionals and offers online courses for students according to their unique schedules. This flexibility contributes to a 95-per-cent-course-completion rate for undergraduates, institution-wide.
Furthermore, Excelsior maximizes the amount of credits students can transfer from another accredited university. Learners can also apply professional and military experience toward earning their degrees.
The ability to convert life experience into college credit may be part of what draws so many students who are veterans or active in the military to Excelsior. The college also maintains to help advance their careers. Excelsior promotes inclusive learning methods, with an enrollment between male and female students.
万宝路平台官网In total, students must complete 124 credit hours to earn this degree, including 60 from general education in the arts and sciences, 57 in required technology courses, and seven from upper-level technology electives. Electives must include at least one hour of an information literacy elective course.
- Excelsior College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- The Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET gives accreditation to the electrical engineering bachelor’s program
7. Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
万宝路平台官网Southern Illinois University – Carbondale is the oldest campus in the Southern Illinois University system; it was founded in 1869 and enrolls over 14,500 students in a wide selection of undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and certificate programs. Through its extended campus, SIU Carbondale serves nontraditional students who seek online bachelor’s and online master’s degrees.
Among the university’s online offerings is a degree completion program designed to meet the needs of working professionals and associate degree holders. The program builds on students’ prior educational and work experience. It requires 120 credits for completion, and 56 of these credits must be completed at SIU Carbondale. Electronic engineering online students engage with foundational and advanced concepts in the field through courses in areas such as circuit theory, AC/DC circuit theory, microcontroller application and design, and digital control systems.
万宝路平台官网Applicants to the online degree completion program should hold an associate of applied science degree from a regionally accredited institution. The program takes two years to complete. Students who do not hold an associate degree may apply for the program, but they will need to complete 54 credits of university core requirements.
Southern Illinois University – Carbondale is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
8. Indiana State University
万宝路平台官网Terre Haute, Indiana
万宝路平台官网Indiana State University’s provides students with the technical skills they need to be great engineers, and the business skills they need to become leaders in the field. Learners in the electrical engineering program take courses in basic technological concepts, foundational studies, specialized technology, computer science, and management.
万宝路平台官网In total, students must complete 80 credit hours, which includes 42 in electronics technology courses. Students complete the remaining credits in mechanical engineering technology, technology management, science, technical electives, and college algebra. Students can choose an additional elective in introduction to robotics and automation, fundamentals of manufacturing processes, or manufacturing processes and materials.
ISU designed this program for transfer students. Applicants should possess an associate degree in electronics technology or a similar field. Furthermore, prospective students should satisfy any of the fundamental course requirements not offered at ISU online at another school before enrolling. All applicants must demonstrate a GPA of at least 2.0 in all college courses.
万宝路平台官网Only students in the U.S. and Canada can attend this online program. However, ISU makes an exception for U.S. military service members stationed abroad and their immediate families. Prospective students should check with their state for individual requirements, as not all states recognize the program. The founders created ISU in 1865 to instill the values of hard work and public service in its students.
- Indiana State University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- The Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering issues accreditation for this program
- Entry Level: $63,000
- Mid-Career: $79,000
- Experienced: $94,000
- Late Career: $105,000
- Entry Level: $65,000
- Mid-Career: $85,000
- Experienced: $113,000
- Late Career: $107,000
- Entry Level: $65,000
- Mid-Career: $74,000
- Experienced: $84,000
- Late Career: $92,000
- Entry Level: $71,000
- Mid-Career: $89,000
- Experienced: $100,000
- Late Career: $111,000
- Entry Level: $43,000
- Mid-Career: $48,000
- Experienced: $52,000
- Late Career: $63,000
Choosing an Electronics Engineering Degree Program
Prospective students considering an electronic engineering degree online need to carefully research each potential program. Finding the right program takes time, and with a growing number of options, students can feel overwhelmed with their choices. Key factors, such as program cost, transfer policies, and school size, can help prospective students narrow their choices. Students concerned about cost can start with in-state public institutions, which often charge the lowest tuition rates. Considering other program requirements, like program length or on-campus residencies, can also help prospective students find the best program for their career goals and interests.
- Program Cost:
- Prospective students should research the total cost of the degree, including any technology fees, online learning fees, and book costs. Engineering students might also pay laboratory fees, depending on the program. In-state public schools usually offer the lowest rates. However, many programs offer lower tuition rates for fully online students, which can make an out-of-state public institution more affordable.
- Transfer Policies:
- Students with college credit should research transfer policies. Many programs accept transfer credits earned from an accredited institution. In addition to checking a program’s electronic engineering courses online, prospective students can submit a transcript for a transfer credit review or reach out to a transfer advisor.
- School Size and Type:
- When choosing an undergraduate institution, students should consider the school’s size and type (such as public or private). Some students prefer a smaller class size, while others look for a larger cohort and alumni network. Public schools may offer specialized programs not available at private institutions.
- Program Length:
- While most bachelor’s degrees take four years, programs may offer accelerated or part-time options. Program length affects cost, so students should also consider ways to shorten the program by transferring in credits or taking summer classes. An admissions advisor can help determine the program length based on a student’s prior experience.
- On-Campus Requirements:
- Some electronics engineering programs include on-campus requirements, such as laboratory residencies. Students considering programs in other states may prefer programs without on-campus requirements. Programs may also offer local laboratory experiences for students instead of on-campus residencies.
Accreditation for Electronics Engineering Bachelor’s Degrees
Prospective electronics engineering students should always choose an accredited engineering program. Accreditation acts as a marker of academic excellence, signaling the quality of your degree to future employers. Independent, nonprofit accrediting agencies evaluate entire colleges or universities and specific programs within the institution. Regional and national accreditors, for example, assess institutions. These accrediting agencies measure student learning outcomes, faculty qualifications, and graduation requirements. Regional accreditation remains the highest standard.
万宝路平台官网The and the maintain lists of accredited institutions, which prospective students can use when researching potential programs.
万宝路平台官网In addition to regional and national accreditation, there’s programmatic accreditation. Programmatic accrediting agencies review business schools, social work programs, and teacher training programs, for example. In engineering, the (ABET) acts as the most important accrediting agency. ABET accredits more than 4,000 programs, recognizing engineering programs that follow the best standards for educating engineers. ABET-accredited electronic engineering schools online meet the highest standard in engineering education.
Attending an accredited program benefits students in several ways. Some employers hire only candidates with an accredited degree, and many professional licenses and certifications require an accredited degree.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics Engineering?
万宝路平台官网Earning a bachelor’s electronic engineering degree online typically takes four years of full-time study. During a bachelor’s degree, undergraduates complete 120 credits, including general education requirements in addition to the major courses. Within a school of engineering, the required general education courses often include calculus, statistics, and technical writing. The major courses cover electric circuits, microprocessors, and lab coursework, providing a solid foundation in electronics engineering. Students can typically complete a minor along with the electronics engineering major.
Transfer students can earn their degrees faster, depending on the number of accepted transfer credits. Incoming students with an associate degree often earn their bachelor’s in two years. Some programs also offer accelerated options for students who want to complete the degree in less time. Students balancing school with work or family obligations may prefer a part-time option, which adds time to the degree.
Courses in an Electronics Engineering Bachelor’s Program
- Introduction to Electronics Engineering
- The curriculum at an electronics engineer online school often begins with an introductory course covering electronics and computers. The coursework introduces circuit components, power supplies, and transistors. Students learn to use tools like multimeters, function generators, and oscilloscopes. The course prepares electronics engineering students for advanced classes in the major.
- Classes on microprocessors train students in microprocessor programming and theory. Students learn about memory devices, microprocessor structures, assembly languages, and software development techniques. Students also learn how to create programming and instruction sets to run a microprocessor. The class may incorporate computer simulations or laboratory experiments to give students hands-on experience.
- Electric Circuits
- In electric circuits courses, students learn how to design, manage, and maintain circuits. The course includes instruction on Ohm’s law, current laws, and voltage laws, providing a mathematical and scientific basis for understanding circuits. Students also learn about magnetism and magnetic circuits, the properties of circuits, and conversion techniques for networks.
- Project Laboratory
- Online courses may include a project laboratory component, which students complete in a local engineering lab. During the project lab, students learn to design, fabricate, and test a project. Students often present the project at the end of the course.
- Digital Electronics
- In digital electronics classes, students explore digital electronic networks. They study design requirements to create functioning digital logic circuits and learn about design theory. Students also delve into circuit design and study real-life examples.
Electronics Engineering Professional Organizations
万宝路平台官网Professional organizations help electronics engineering students connect with professionals in the field and transition from college into the workforce. Many of these organizations offer resources designed for students, including scholarship opportunities for electronic engineering degree online students. Professional organizations also set standards for the field, offer educational resources to keep professionals up to date, and provide continuing education opportunities for license maintenance. Joining electronics engineering professional organizations can help students advance their careers and connect with future employers.
- The largest technical professional organization advancing technology, IEEE creates professional standards, hosts conferences and events with networking opportunities, and offers learning and career enhancement opportunities to members. The institute also helps local communities connect with electronics engineers through societies or working groups.
- Professional engineers join NSPE to maintain their licenses through continuing education opportunities, access news and publications, and attend conferences. The society also offers professional resources for students, including a list of scholarship opportunities, student chapters, and discounted student membership.
- ACM brings together nearly 100,000 computing professionals, including electronics engineers. The association publishes research in computing technology, organizes special interest groups in computing fields, and offers regional chapters to connect professionals. ACM also offers a digital library with resources on computing and information technology.
The 10 Best Online Bachelor’s in Electronics Engineering degree programs for 2018
University of Massachusetts - Lowell
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, New York
Arizona State University - ASU Online
University of Arizona
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
Albany, New York
Eastern New Mexico University
Portales, New Mexico
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, Indiana
- Texas State University
San Marcos, Texas